There is a range of supports for the purchase of electric vehicles. These supports include a purchase grant of up to €5,000 for new electric vehicles and Vehicle Registration Tax relief of up to €5,000 for battery electric vehicles and up to €2,500 for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. In addition, further grants of up to €7,000 are available to support the purchase of electric vehicles in the taxi/hackney/limousine sector. Other supports available include:
- Accelerated Capital Allowances for electric vehicles and charging infrastructure;
- A grant of up to €600 to support the installation of a home charger for purchasers of new and second-hand electric vehicles;
- Benefit-in-Kind relief for battery electric vehicles;
- Low motor tax of €120 for battery electric vehicles; and
- discount on tolls of 50% for battery electric vehicles and 25% for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (up to a maximum amount of €500 per year with greater reductions off-peak on the M50).
A full list of supports is available on www.drivingelectric.ie.
In addition, under the first call for applications from the Climate Action Fund I approved funding of up to €10 million to a project from ESB eCars. This project will develop a nationwide, state-of-the-art electric vehicle fast charging network capable of facilitating large-scale electric vehicle uptake over the next decade. In addition, my Department, in conjunction with the SEAI, is working on how best to support the provision of greater levels of on-street public charging.