Thursday, 7 March 2019

Questions (87)

Mary Lou McDonald


87. Deputy Mary Lou McDonald asked the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform if he will consider introducing a set number of days per year for paid domestic violence leave for public sector workers. [11365/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Public)

As Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, I have responsibility for non-pay terms and conditions in the Civil Service. Other Ministers have responsibility for such conditions in the various sectors of the wider public service.

While I currently have no plans for the introduction of paid domestic violence leave in the Civil Service, there are a number of supports already in place to help staff who are experiencing difficulties in their personal lives.

The Civil Service Employee Assistance Service (CSEAS) provides support to civil servants experiencing workplace and personal difficulties.  The service provides one-to-one support and guidance in the areas of relationships, marital and family issues, including domestic violence.

 The Civil Service also has a policy covering unpaid leave for domestic reasons of up to two months (Circular 05/2010: Force Majeure and Other Urgent Family Reasons Leave)