Tuesday, 26 March 2019

Questions (206)

James Browne


206. Deputy James Browne asked the Minister for Finance the position regarding the registration of all-terrain vehicles as part of the maintenance of the national vehicle and driver file; the way in which the Revenue Commissioners act in the registration of these vehicles; if unregistered vehicles can be taxed or insured; if second-hand vehicles not from here can be registered as an all-terrain vehicle on the national vehicle and driver file; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [13348/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Finance)

The registration of vehicles is provided for in Finance Act 1992, Part II, Chapter IV (as amended). Revenue registers vehicles, both new and used (previous registered), under these provisions and all vehicles, including all-terrain vehicles and other off-road vehicles, may be registered provided they have type approval under the EU system of classification for vehicles. Vehicles which are not designed and constructed for road use cannot be registered under the above-mentioned provisions.

Registration can be carried out on the Revenue Online Service for new vehicles or by making an appointment at a National Car Test Centre for used vehicles. Once a registration is completed, the relevant data is transferred overnight to the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport (DTTaS).

New vehicles at registration must be accompanied by the appropriate Certificate of Conformity and used vehicles must be accompanied by the Foreign Registration Certificate. Both documents indicate the type approval provisions under which the vehicle may be registered or has been previously registered.

The question of motor tax and insurance is a matter for the DTTaS.