Wednesday, 27 March 2019

Questions (262)

Clare Daly


262. Deputy Clare Daly asked the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs the number of children being cared for under a private care arrangement between grandparents and the parents of the children that are known to Tusla and in which no formal structures have been established, including no formal structure in which the grandparents are financially supported to care for the children. [14476/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Children)

I am informed that this information is not collated centrally by Tusla, the Child and Family Agency.

Tusla works in partnership with families and their networks to develop plans for children based on the strengths of the family and the individual circumstances of the child. Tusla endeavour, where possible, to support children at home or for their return home where this is in their best interests. Where this is not possible Tusla may apply to the courts to receive the child into care or enter into a voluntary agreement with the parent/guardian.

An application can be made for a Guardianship Payment to the Department of Employment and Social Protection if a child, who is an orphan or abandoned, is being cared for on a full time basis by adults who are not their parent/guardian.