The Reception Centre at Balseskin, Co. Dublin operates as a reception facility for persons who have entered the state seeking international protection. It is subject to unannounced inspection by both staff from the Reception and Integration Agency and the Department's external inspectorate QTS Limited. The inspection contains examination of the following fire safety specific items:
- Emergency Lighting Inspection Schedule
- Fire Alarm and Detection System Inspection Schedule
- Fire Fighting Equipment Inspection Schedule
- Fire Exit Doors Inspections
- Fire Drill Procedure
- That staff have received relevant instruction and training re fire safety
- Fire Assembly Points
- Fire Alarm System Inspection
- Clearly marked fire exits, emergency lighting, smoke alarms and fire notices
- Inspection of each individual bedrooms for smoke alarms, fire notices and check for any potential fire hazards.
Balseskin was inspected twice in 2018, once in June by QTS Limited and once in October by RIA Staff. The only issues identified by QTS were the presence of rice cookers in 3 bedrooms and a smoke alarm that was covered in one bedroom.
The contractor was informed of these issues which were subsequently rectified. No fire safety issues were identified during the October inspection.
Balseskin will be inspected a minimum of 3 times during the course of 2019 and any fire safety issues identified will be rectified as a matter of urgency.