Wednesday, 8 May 2019

Questions (1269)

Pearse Doherty


1269. Deputy Pearse Doherty asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport his plans to allow for a refund of motor tax to include all full months remaining in cases in which a vehicle is taken off the road, as is the case in the United Kingdom (details supplied); and if he will make a statement on the matter. [18506/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Transport)

The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) (Amendment) Regulations 1992 (S.I. 385 of 1992) provide for the making of refunds of motor tax in certain limited circumstances. However, the Regulations also provide that the vehicle licence (motor tax disc) must be surrendered to the motor tax office not less than three months before the expiry of the licence. The Regulations further provide that refunds are not made where the annual rate of duty applicable to a vehicle does not exceed €119.

I have no plans currently to amend the Regulations to align the system with that in place in the United Kingdom.