Wednesday, 8 May 2019

Questions (1541)

Robert Troy


1541. Deputy Robert Troy asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government if grants are available for completion of a house that never finished construction and was never occupied. [18853/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

My Department does not have a grant scheme in place for the completion of single unoccupied houses.

However, funding has previously been provided to some ‘Unfinished Housing Developments’ (developments consisting of two or more dwellings) in terms of a Public Safety Initiative (PSI) fund and Site Resolution Fund (SRF). In March 2018, my Department published the 2017 Annual Progress Report on Unfinished Housing Developments, and the report is available on my Department's website at the following link:

The PSI consisted of a €5 million fund to specifically address health and safety issues such as site access to an unfinished housing development. The Special Resolution Fund (SRF) was introduced in the 2014 Budget and contained a special provision to further assist in addressing the legacy of unfinished housing developments in the form of a targeted €10m fund to encourage the resolution of unfinished developments particularly those developments not likely to be resolved in the normal way through solely developer/owner/funder action because of the presence of specific financial barriers. Works that took place as a result of these funding streams consisted of works to the ‘public’ areas such as roads, lighting, open spaces, drainage, fencing and did not fund the completion of any specific dwellings.