Wednesday, 8 May 2019

Questions (296)

Kevin O'Keeffe


296. Deputy Kevin O'Keeffe asked the Minister for Education and Skills if grants, scholarships, a bursary or financial aid are available for a person (details supplied) in County Cork who wishes to study abroad. [18874/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

The main support available to assist students with the cost of higher education is the student grant scheme. SUSI’s online system for the 2019 Scheme is now open. Students attending college in the academic year 2019/20 are required to submit their grant application to SUSI (via to have their eligibility for grant assistance assessed.

Students attending approved undergraduate courses in the EU can apply for a maintenance grant provided they meet the terms and conditions of the Student Grant Scheme.

Tax relief at the standard rate of tax may be claimed in respect of tuition fees paid for approved courses at approved colleges of higher education including approved undergraduate and postgraduate courses in EU Member States and in non-EU countries. Further information on this tax relief is available from the Revenue Commissioners on

The individual concerned may also wish to review the criteria for the various scholarship and bursary schemes supported by my Department, to determine if he/she might be eligible for support in 2019/20. Information on these schemes can be accessed at the following link: