Wednesday, 8 May 2019

Questions (968)

Bernard Durkan


968. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Health the correct procedure to be followed by an elderly person that potentially requires nursing home support but receives only a weekly pension and owns no property; the options available to them in such circumstances; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [19824/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

The Nursing Homes Support Scheme (NHSS), commonly referred to as Fair Deal, is a system of financial support for people who require long-term residential care. Participants contribute to the cost of their care according to their means while the State pays the balance of the cost. The Scheme aims to ensure that long-term residential care is accessible and affordable for everyone and that people are cared for in the most appropriate settings.

Participants in the Scheme contribute up to 80% of their assessable income and a maximum of 7.5% per annum of the value of assets held. Assets include property, land, monies held in a financial institution, shares, stocks, bonds, securities or other financial instruments, or monies lent to another person which are repayable; this list is not exhaustive.

In the first instance, where a person may require nursing home care, an application should be made for NHSS through the HSE and the person's local Nursing Homes Support Office; HSE Live is contactable on 041 6850 300.