Thursday, 9 May 2019

Questions (163)

Peter Burke


163. Deputy Peter Burke asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if a carer's allowance application by a person (details supplied) will be expedited; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [20225/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

Carer's allowance (CA) is a means-tested social assistance payment made to a person who is habitually resident in the State and who is providing full-time care and attention to a child or an adult who has such a disability that as a result they require that level of care.

An application for CA was received from the person concerned on 19 March 2019. The application is currently being processed and once completed, the person concerned will be notified directly of the outcome.

Anyone experiencing financial difficulties while awaiting a decision of any social welfare payment can contact their local Intreo Centre and enquire as to their entitlement to a payment under the Department's Supplementary Welfare Allowance (SWA) scheme.

I hope this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.