Tuesday, 21 May 2019

Questions (505)

Robert Troy


505. Deputy Robert Troy asked the Minister for Communications, Climate Action and Environment if he has powers or responsibility to ensure a road with four individual properties is serviced by a refuse collection by at least one of the companies operating within the area. [21362/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Communications)

I have no legislative power to compel a private company to provide a service to specific properties.

The obligations on local authorities in relation to collecting household waste are set out in section 33 of the Waste Management Act 1996, as amended. In summary, it provides that each local authority shall collect, or arrange for the collection of, household waste within its functional area. The obligation to collect or arrange for the collection of household waste shall not apply if:

- an adequate waste collection service is available in the local authority's functional area,

- the estimated costs of the collection of the waste would, in the opinion of the local authority, be unreasonably high, or

- the local authority is satisfied that adequate arrangements for the disposal of the waste concerned can reasonably be made by the holder of the waste.

Under section 60(3) of the Waste Management Act 1996, as Minister, I am precluded from exercising any power or control in relation to the performance by a local authority, in particular circumstances, of a statutory function vested in it.