Tuesday, 21 May 2019

Questions (629)

Bernard Durkan


629. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection further to Parliamentary Question No. 1413 of 8 May 2019, if the level of funding or support or lack thereof has been considered by her Department (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [21657/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

Section 338 of the Social Welfare (Consolidation) Act, 2005 (as amended), provides that where a person has received moneys from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection, which he or she is not entitled to receive, the person shall be liable to repay on demand a sum not exceeding the amount of the money received.

It is the policy of this Department not to cause undue hardship to the debt holder, having regard to their circumstances.  If the person concerned is not in a position to discharge this debt at present, she should as previously advised, contact LO-Call number: 1890 500 000 with any enquiries or representation relating to her outstanding debt. 

Additionally, as outlined in Question No. 1413, it is open to the person concerned to contact her local Intreo Centre where a member of staff will be in a position to assist her in determining her current entitlements.

I trust this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.