Wednesday, 29 May 2019

Questions (132)

John Curran


132. Deputy John Curran asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport when the Road Safety Authority will carry out research into the way in which e-scooters and other such vehicles are regulated in other countries, particularly other member states; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [22906/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Transport)

Escooters and other such vehicles fall into the category of a mechanically propelled vehicle under the Road Traffic Act 1961. Any users of such vehicles in a public place must have insurance, road tax and a driving licence, with penalties under road traffic laws (including fixed charge notices, penalty points, fines and possible seizure of the vehicle) for not being in compliance with these requirements.

As it is currently not possible to tax or insure escooters or other such vehicles, they are not considered suitable for use in a public place.

I have requested the Road Safety Authority to research how escooters and other such vehicles are regulated in other countries, particularly other Member States. I am keen to understand the road safety implications of the use of such vehicles on public roads, especially when interacting with other vehicles.

I will make a decision on whether or not to amend existing legislation when I have received and considered the outcome of the Authority’s research, and not before then. I will need to be satisfied that permitting such vehicles on our roads will not give rise to safety concerns, both for the users themselves and for all other road users including cyclists, pedestrians and motorists. I have been advised that the report will be submitted to me within the next few weeks.