Wednesday, 12 June 2019

Questions (237)

Clare Daly


237. Deputy Clare Daly asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection the financial assistance available to fund assessments for children who have been identified as potentially requiring additional learning supports in view of the substantial cost of same for parents and the negative impact of delays in diagnosis and supports on the development of the child. [24545/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

The department does not provide direct financial assistance towards funding assessments of children who may require additional learning support. This would be a matter for my colleague the Minister for Education and Skills.

However children with a disability requiring addition supports can qualify for receipt of the Domiciliary Care Allowance (DCA), which can be paid to a parent/guardian in recognition of the additional care required by children with additional needs resulting from a disability. The payment can be used in whatever way the parent/guardian deems most appropriate.

Currently over 44,000 children under 16 years avail of this monthly payment of 309.50 euro. In addition recipients also receive the annual carers support grant of 1700 euro in June each year, with over 50% of DCA recipients also qualifying for carers allowance.