Thursday, 20 June 2019

Questions (149)

Louise O'Reilly


149. Deputy Louise O'Reilly asked the Minister for Health the pathways for a patient from Northern Ireland to see a consultant here regarding medical cannabis. [25933/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

My understanding is that the Deputy is referring to access to healthcare in Ireland for a patient from another EU Member State, under the terms of the Cross Border Directive (CBD). The Directive provides that patients who are entitled to a particular health service in the public healthcare system in their home Member State are also entitled to be reimbursed by their home country if they choose to receive such treatment in another Member State. The patient should contact their own UK National Contact Point (NCP) to check their eligibility for CBD healthcare in any particular circumstance and the particular pathway they should take to avail of such healthcare. With regard to accessing the service in another Member State, the Cross Border Directive obliges Member States, through their own NCP, to ensure that information about healthcare providers is available, or accessible, to oversea patients. The patient may contact the Irish NCP in writing at HSE National Contact Point (NCP), St Canices, Laken, Dublin Road, Kilkenny, R95 P231 or by phone on 056 7784546. The choice of healthcare provider is an individual choice for the patient. Once the patient has chosen a healthcare provider for receipt of the cross border healthcare it is a requirement for individual healthcare providers to give them the relevant information to assist them in making an informed choice as to whether or not to avail of cross border healthcare.