Thursday, 20 June 2019

Questions (205)

Peter Burke


205. Deputy Peter Burke asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if a person (details supplied) can avail of credits for the period which they stayed at home to mind children. [25996/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

Since late September 2018, my Department has been examining the social insurance records of approximately 90,000 pensioners, born on or after 1 September 1946, who have a reduced rate State pension contributory entitlement based on post Budget 2012 rate-bands. These payments are being reviewed under a new Total Contributions Approach (TCA) to pension calculation which includes provision for homecaring periods.

A Deciding Officer has examined the entitlement of the person concerned under the new arrangements and determined that even if all gaps in their social insurance record were filled with HomeCaring Periods no increase in rate would result. An advisory letter to this effect has issued to the person concerned. This letter encourages them to contact the dedicated helpline if they want this outcome explained to them in more detail. If the person concerned wants a formal review decision, this will be provided to them, on request, together with an associated right of appeal.

I hope this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.