Thursday, 4 July 2019

Questions (145)

John Brady


145. Deputy John Brady asked the Minister for Justice and Equality the rights to educational support of asylum seekers housed in emergency accommodation. [28753/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Justice)

Children of international protection applicants who are residing in emergency accommodation can access school places in local primary and post-primary schools in the same manner as the general population. They can also avail of the Back to School Clothing and Footwear Allowance, which is administered by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.

While an international protection claim is being examined, accommodation and related services are offered as a whole-of-Government approach to anyone without means. This includes all meals, medical care and utilities. A weekly personal allowance is paid to each person by the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection and they can also cover exceptional needs. The Department of Education and Skills provides school places for children residents and the HSE provides mainstreamed health services.