Thursday, 4 July 2019

Questions (233)

Louise O'Reilly


233. Deputy Louise O'Reilly asked the Minister for Health the arrangements in place to facilitate access to the compassionate access programme for medicinal cannabis for persons in Northern Ireland; if a protocol exists for access; if not, if one is being devised; if, in the interim, access can be arranged; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [28818/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

My understanding is that the Deputy is referring to access to healthcare in Ireland for a person from Northern Ireland, under the terms of the Cross Border Directive (CBD).

The Directive provides that patients who are entitled to a particular health service in the public healthcare system of their home Member State are also entitled to be reimbursed by their home State if they choose to receive such treatment in another Member State.  In this context the person should contact the UK National Contact Point (NCP) to check their eligibility for healthcare under the Directive in any particular circumstance and the particular pathway they should take to avail of such healthcare.

In addition, the Directive provides that the NCP in the Member State in which treatment is being sought must ensure that information about accessing healthcare services in that State under the Directive, including detail of the healthcare providers in the State, is available or accessible to persons from other EU / EEA States.  In this context the person may contact the Irish NCP in writing at HSE National Contact Point (NCP), St Canices, Laken, Dublin Road, Kilkenny, R95 P231 or by phone on 00 353 (0)56 7784546.