Thursday, 11 July 2019

Questions (300)

Thomas Byrne


300. Deputy Thomas Byrne asked the Minister for Education and Skills the oversight conducted by his Department of the number of young persons seeking support and or counselling for mental health difficulties at third-level; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [31280/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

Student services, which are an integral part of the whole student experience at third level, support students to achieve their intellectual, cultural and social potential while supporting and complementing the formal academic programme.  Student services can fall under a number of headings, particularly ‘Welfare and Guidance’ which includes counselling services and health promotion.  

In relation to the provision of these services within the institutions, the position is that my Department's provides recurrent funding to the Higher Education Authority for direct disbursement to its designated higher education institutions. The HEA allocates this funding as a block grant to these institutions, and the internal disbursement of this funding, including the funding of student services, is a matter for the individual institution.

Details of expenditure incurred in respect of counselling services in the third level sector are outlined below.  Data in respect of subsequent academic years is not readily available at this time.


Universities & Colleges (incl MIC, NCAD & St Angela's College)