Tuesday, 23 July 2019

Questions (2420)

Robert Troy


2420. Deputy Robert Troy asked the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport the status of putting in place an exchange agreement for various Canadian driver licences; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [33290/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Transport)

Irish driver licensing law operates within the framework of EU law and the standards for driver testing in this country are set at European level. In the case of non-EU jurisdictions such as Canada, Ireland may make bilateral agreements on licence exchange. Such agreements can be made only when the relevant authorities in each jurisdiction have studied and compared the two licensing regimes, so that each side can be satisfied that they are compatible. On the Irish side, this task is undertaken by the Road Safety Authority (RSA).

Canadian licences are issued by the government of the province or territory in which the driver is residing and specific regulations relating to driver's licences can vary from province to province. Ireland currently has exchange agreements in place with the provinces of Ontario, Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, British Columbia, and Saskatchewan. We are currently finalising an agreement with Alberta and will continue to work towards reaching similar agreements with the remaining Canadian provinces in due course.