Tuesday, 23 July 2019

Questions (2809)

John Brady


2809. Deputy John Brady asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection her views on the arrangements in place for lone parents in order to seek maintenance via the courts; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [33694/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

The issues relating to maintenance are a matter for my colleague, the Minister for Justice and Equality, who has responsibility for the Family Law Acts, which govern maintenance requirements.

The Family Law Acts place a legal obligation on parents to maintain their children. In cases where the family unit has broken down these obligations continue to apply. Relevant maintenance payments can be arranged either directly between the parties themselves, or with the assistance of supports from the Department of Justice and Equality, such as the Family Mediation Service and the Legal Aid Board, or ultimately through the Courts.