Tuesday, 23 July 2019

Questions (2951)

Robert Troy


2951. Deputy Robert Troy asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government the body that funds approved housing bodies; and the stage they require departmental approval to proceed. [33941/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

In order to be eligible for funding for the provision of social housing, housing bodies must be registered as Approved Housing Bodies (AHBs) in accordance with Section 6 of the Housing (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1992.

To become an AHB, a body must comply with a range of criteria which include being an independent, not-for-profit organisation. Details on how to apply for approved status can be found on my Department's website at the following link:


There are a range of funding and delivery mechanisms available to local authorities to deliver social housing supports in partnership with AHBs through capital funding and social housing current expenditure funding. The funding under these programmes is provided directly to local authorities who, in turn, advance the funding to AHBs, as appropriate.

The oversight of AHBs is currently conducted through the Voluntary Regulation Code (VRC), "Building for the Future, A Voluntary Regulation Code for Approved Housing Bodies in Ireland". The VRC is overseen by the Interim Regulation Committee (IRC), based in the Housing Agency. I will shortly be publishing legislation to introduce a new statutory system of regulation for the AHB sector.

Since the Code was put in place, any AHB applying for housing funding must furnish proof of compliance with the Voluntary Code. Only those AHBs that have undergone a satisfactory assessment as part of the annual assessment process by the Regulation Office are considered eligible for funding for the provision of social housing.