The Deputy will appreciate that I am not in a position to go into detail in relation to individual prisoner matters.
I will however advise the Deputy that all prisoners being considered for a transfer from a closed prison to an Open Centre are risk assessed by my officials who take into consideration a number of factors including:
- the safety of the public (specifically flight risk in the case of open centres)
- compassionate and humane considerations (including facilitating family visits)
- nature and gravity of the offence
- length of sentence served to date
- length of sentence left to serve
- prior record on temporary release
- behaviour in prison
- previous criminal history
- family support
- addiction issues/history
- prisoner's home address
In this case the prisoner was assessed for suitability and transferred on the recommendation of the Prison Governor. Finally I am advised that the prisoner has posed no difficulties for management in the Open Centre.