Friday, 6 September 2019

Questions (726)

Bernard Durkan


726. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation if a work permit application or short-term residency status will be extended in the case of a person (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [35393/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Business)

The Employment Permits Section of my Department informs me that not enough information has been provided to determine whether the person (details supplied) qualifies for an employment permit.

In order to work in the State all non-EEA nationals require a valid employment permit unless exempt under permission from the Department of Justice and Equality.  In order to apply for an employment permit a non-EEA national must have secured a job offer for an eligible occupation from an Irish registered employer. 

The State's general policy is to promote the sourcing of labour and skills needs from within Ireland and other EEA countries. Where specific skills prove difficult to source within the State or EEA, an employment permit may be sought by an employer to hire a non-EEA national in line with the Employment Permits Acts and associated Regulations, which lay down in legislation the criteria in relation to the application, grant and refusal of an employment permit.

Any application for an employment permit should comply with all of the legislative requirements for the particular employment permit type, including that the non-EEA national has the required immigration permission at the time of application.

Details on how to apply for an employment permit are available on our website at the following link - .

My colleague, the Minister for Justice and Equality, has responsibility for issuing immigration permissions.