Tuesday, 17 September 2019

Questions (631)

Michael Harty


631. Deputy Michael Harty asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection the restrictions on recipients of social welfare payments such as carer’s allowance on leaving the country for short periods of time to visit family members; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [37185/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

Carer's allowance (CA) is a means-tested social assistance payment made to a person who is habitually resident in the State and who is providing full-time care and attention to a child or an adult who has such a disability that as a result they require that level of care.

As is the case with most other means-tested social welfare payments, CA is not payable on an extended basis to or in respect of persons outside the State, although legislation provides for the payment of CA when a person leaves the State on a temporary basis.  A Carer may be absent from the state while on holiday for a maximum of 3 weeks each year and continue to receive payment of CA.

Before going abroad the Carer is obliged to notify this department of that fact.

I hope this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.