Tuesday, 24 September 2019

Questions (234)

Colm Brophy


234. Deputy Colm Brophy asked the Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation the reason An Bord Altranais issues a recognition of both a diploma and degree certificate for non-national nurses to be eligible to work here but her Department will not issue a critical skills visa to non-degree holding nurses to enable them to work here; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [38753/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Business)

The critical skills employment permit is designed to attract highly skilled people into the labour market. Eligible occupations, on the critical skills occupation list, under this type of permit are deemed to be critically important to growing Ireland's economy, are highly demanded and highly skilled and in significant shortage of supply in our labour market. For this employment type non-EEA nationals must be the holder of a degree level qualification or higher in the relevant field if the remuneration on offer is between €30,000 and €60,000 per annum. In cases where the remuneration is €60,000 or more the non-EEA national can be either the holder of a degree level qualification or higher in the relevant field or have the necessary experience for the role.

Qualified non-EEA nurses who wish to work in Ireland are eligible for critical skills employment permits where they have been awarded a relevant degree or degree equivalent and the proposed employment meets the criteria for this type of employment permit. Where a non-EEA nurse is qualified to practice nursing in Ireland but does not hold a relevant degree, they may be eligible for a General Employment Permit in order to work here.

The determination of qualification equivalence is made by NARIQ Ireland; information is available at http://www.qqi.ie/Articles/Pages/Qualifications-Recognition.aspx

Non-EEA nurses who wish to work in Ireland must normally complete an adaptation process in order to register with The Nursing and Midwifery Board of Ireland. Permission to be in the State to undertake this process is granted by the Department of Justice and Equality.