Thursday, 26 September 2019

Questions (103)

Bernard Durkan


103. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice and Equality further to Parliamentary Question No. 700 of 6 September 2019, if the person (details supplied) should attend with the child at the INIS to register the citizenship of the child; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [39223/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Justice)

I am advised by the Immigration Service of my Department that the person concerned applied for a right of residency, accompanied by a right to work, based on their parentage of an Irish citizen child on 15 October 2018. The Deputy will appreciate that, in the interest of fairness to all applicants, applications are dealt with in chronological order. I understand that the application is under consideration at present and the Immigration Service will be in contact with the person concerned in due course.

Permission to remain in the State for parents of Irish Citizen Children may be granted where the applicant can show that they are playing an active role in the life of the Irish Citizen Child. The child must also be residing continuously in Ireland. If the person concerned is granted permission as the parent of an Irish Citizen Child, the child will need to attend the Immigration Service when their parent is registering their permission to reside in the State.

The Deputy may wish to note that queries in relation to the status of individual immigration cases may be made directly to the Immigration Service of my Department, by e-mail, using the Oireachtas Mail facility which has been specifically established for this purpose. This service enables up to date information on such cases to be obtained without the need to seek information by way of the Parliamentary Questions process. The Deputy may consider using the e-mail service except in cases where the response is, in the Deputy’s view, inadequate or too long awaited.