Tuesday, 1 October 2019

Questions (582)

Richard Boyd Barrett


582. Deputy Richard Boyd Barrett asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection the reason a person (details supplied) is no longer receiving a living alone allowance; if it will be reinstated in order that they can apply for the household benefits package; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [39300/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

This gentleman was in receipt of living alone allowance (LAA) up to 12 June 2009 when he was deemed to be no longer eligible and his LAA payment was stopped.

If his situation has changed, the gentleman concerned must complete an application form for LAA and submit to the department in order to have his eligibility checked and a formal decision made on entitlement.  An application form issued to this gentleman on 24 September 2019.

The customer concerned  is in receipt of the Household Benefits Package  and as a result receives the Natural Gas Allowance since 2007 and Free TV Licence since 2009.  It is not necessary for a customer to be in receipt of the Living Alone Allowance to get the Household Benefits Package.

The package is generally available to people living in the State, aged 66 years or over who are in receipt of a social welfare type payment or who satisfy a means test. Anyone aged under 66 years of age must be in receipt of a qualifying payment from the Department.

I trust this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.