Wednesday, 2 October 2019

Questions (240)

John Brassil


240. Deputy John Brassil asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if there is a €190,500 disregard on the means assessment for qualified adult payments on the State pension (contributory) for persons who wish to downsize their home; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [40086/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

The legislation allowing for the disregard of proceeds from sale of principal residence - Article 158 of the Social Welfare (Consolidated Claims, Payments and Control) Regulations 2007 - applies to those moving to more suitable accommodation who are in receipt of one of the following payments:

- State Pension (Non-Contributory)

- Widow's, Widower's or Surviving civil Partner's (Non-Contributory) Pension (66 years of age or over)

- Disability Allowance

- Blind Pension

There is currently no provision for this disregard in respect of an adult dependant on the state pension (contributory). Any changes to disregards and means assessments would have to be considered in the overall policy and budgetary process.