Thursday, 3 October 2019

Questions (341)

Bernard Durkan


341. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if a more affordable level of recovery of overpayment can be arranged in the case of a person (details supplied); and if she will make a statement on the matter. [40240/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

My Department is obliged to recover all debt owed to it as quickly as possible and within the relevant legislation and guidelines governing the recovery of debt.  The person concerned has an outstanding One Parent Family Parent (OPFP) debt and proposals on its recovery have been made to her.

Previously the person concerned was repaying this debt by monthly direct debit payments for the agreed amount of €100.00 per month.

Under social welfare legislation, a weekly deduction of 15% of the personal rate of all payments can be deducted without written consent in order to recover a debt owing to the Department. It is being proposed to withhold on a weekly basis €45 from the person concerned CA payment.

In order to give consideration to a lesser amount being recovered weekly as requested and to be able to determine a recovery plan, consideration is given to the size of the debt, the cause of the debt, previous efforts to repay the debt, and the level of income and expenditure of the household.

A letter issued on 1 October 2019 requesting the person concerned to provide details of her weekly income and expenditure in order for the recovery plan to be reviewed.

When same as requested has been received the debt recovery officer will be in a position to reconsider the weekly amount to be recovered.

I hope this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.