Tuesday, 8 October 2019

Questions (125)

Niamh Smyth


125. Deputy Niamh Smyth asked the Minister for Education and Skills the way in which a special needs school applies for a roll number; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [41122/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

My Department has established procedures for the setting up of new schools.

Once a school has been established, in line with the required procedures, a roll number is assigned by my Department as part of the process.

The National Council for Special Education (NCSE) has a statutory function to plan and co-ordinate the provision of education and support services to children with special educational needs. In the case of an application to establish a new special school, the views of the NCSE would be sought as part of the Department's consideration of the matter.