Thursday, 17 October 2019

Questions (128)

James Browne


128. Deputy James Browne asked the Minister for Education and Skills if his Department will aid a school (details supplied) in its bid to increase its yard space in view of the fact that its school numbers have increased leading to health and safety concerns; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [42809/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Education)

I wish to advise the Deputy that the most appropriate funding stream for the works referred to is the Summer Works Scheme (SWS). The SWS is designed to allow primary and post primary schools to carry out small and medium scale building works that will improve and upgrade existing school buildings.

It is noted that the school in question submitted an application for Mechanical Works under my Department's multi annual Summer Works Scheme (SWS) 2020 onwards.

It is open to the school to apply for funding to address external works under future Summer Works Schemes.  Alternatively, if the school authority considers the works a priority, it may use its minor works grant which all primary schools receive to carry out the works in full or on a phased basis as the grant permits.