Tuesday, 5 November 2019

Questions (1077)

James Lawless


1077. Deputy James Lawless asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if the case of a person (details supplied) will be investigated; and if the person will be assisted in locating their contributions. [44965/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

A minimum of 520 full-rate paid contributions is required for the standard state pension (contributory), with a minimum of 260 full-rate paid contributions required for entitlement to a mixed insurance pro- rata pension. According to the records of my Department, the person concerned does not have any full rate social insurance contributions.

The person concerned was employed with the Department of Agriculture and Energy and would have paid modified rate social insurance contributions as applied to civil servants at that time. As modified rate insurance in itself does not give entitlement to state pension (contributory), the person concerned does not qualify for state pension (contributory).

If the person concerned had other periods of insurable employment or self-employment, they should forward details to the state pension contributory section and the matter will be examined.

It is also open to the person concerned to apply for the state pension (non-contributory) which is a means-tested, residency-based payment.

I hope this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.