The National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI) is Ireland’s National Standards Body (NSB) operating under the National Standards Authority of Ireland Act 1996. The NSAI is under the remit of the Minister for Business, Enterprise and Innovation.
NSAI is the Irish member of the following:
- International Organization for Standardisation (ISO)
- International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC)
- European Committee for Standardisation (CEN)
- European Committee for Electrotechnical Standardisation (CENELEC)
- European Telecommunication Standards Institute (ETSI)
NSAI complies with EU Regulation 1025/2012 on Standardisation with regard to the encouragement and facilitation of broad stakeholder involvement in standards development, and has a database of approximately 1,600 experts drawn from Irish enterprise, regulation, academia and societal stakeholders. Experts are supported by NSAI when representing Ireland in the international standards committees and working groups of ISO and IEC. Voting on draft international standards is coordinated and cast by NSAI, taking account of the views of interested Irish stakeholders.