Under the European Union (Household Food Waste and Bio-waste) Regulations 2015, household waste collectors are required to provide, or arrange for the provision of, a separate collection service for food waste from households in designated brown bin areas. In accordance with the Regulatory Impact Assessment prepared for these Regulations, the roll-out of the brown bin has been phased in on a progressive basis, commencing on 1st July 2013. The timetable for when the regulations took effect is as follows:
- 1st July 2013 for population centres greater than 25,000 persons;
- 31st December 2013 for population centres greater than 20,000 persons;
- 1st July 2014 for population centres greater than 10,000 persons;
- 1st July 2015 for population centres greater than 1,500 persons, and
- 1st July 2016 for population centres greater than 500 persons.
A full public consultation on Ireland’s Circular Economy strategy will be launched before the end of this year which will seek views on all matters waste related, including the provision of a brown bin collection service in all other areas of the country.