Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Questions (546)

Peter Burke


546. Deputy Peter Burke asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if a person (details supplied) is entitled to social welfare payments. [46274/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

The person concerned is in receipt of state pension (contributory) at 85.34% of the maximum rate based on their social insurance record, together with half-rate carers allowance and the household benefits package.

It is open to the person concerned to apply for the State pension (non-contributory) and/or an increase for qualified adult on their spouse’s state pension (contributory) instead of the state pension (contributory). The increase for a qualified adult is a means-tested payment, based on the means of the qualified adult themselves whereas the state pension (non-contributory) is a means tested payment based on the means of both members of the couple.

If the person concerned is eligible for these payments, they will be advised of the rates payable and the payment that is financially more beneficial to them. It will be open to them to decide which payment they wish to claim.

I hope this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.

Question No. 547 answered with Question No. 544.