Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Questions (552)

Seán Fleming


552. Deputy Sean Fleming asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if carer's benefit can be paid to a parent whose son or daughter reaches 16 years of age and will receive a disability payment in his or her own right having previously been on the domiciliary care allowance; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46352/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

Carer's benefit (CARB) is a PRSI based payment which can be made, subject to certain qualifying conditions to a person who is providing full-time care and attention to a child or an adult who has such a disability that they require that level of care.

Once a carer is in receipt of Domiciliary care allowance at the commencement of their carer's leave, there is no requirement to complete the medical report attached to the carers benefit application. However, if the child is aged 16 or over at the commencement of leave the carer will need to have the medical report completed for the person(s) receiving care by his/her doctor. It should be completed, signed and stamped by the doctor.

I hope this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.