Tuesday, 12 November 2019

Questions (558)

Tom Neville


558. Deputy Tom Neville asked the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if matters in the case of a person (details supplied) will be addressed; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [46666/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Employment)

Child benefit is generally paid to customers who meet the qualifying conditions and submit the appropriate application form. In a case where a parent in receipt of child benefit dies, it is necessary for the other parent or a guardian to complete a claim form so that a new claim with new payment authorisation details, etc. can be set up and processed.

Given the circumstances of the case at hand, and the fact that the person concerned has already provided a signed declaration and information from a school, the child benefit payment is now being transferred into his name. Payment will issue to him, starting with the December 2019 pay date. Any arrears due will also be paid at an early date.

I trust that this clarifies the position for the Deputy.