Wednesday, 27 November 2019

Questions (287)

Denis Naughten


287. Deputy Denis Naughten asked the Minister for Housing, Planning and Local Government when funding will be provided to local authorities for the upgrade of domestic wells; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [49358/19]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

There is a grant currently available, which is funded by my Department through the local authorities, for the provision or necessary improvement of an individual water supply in a house.  This is more commonly called the individual or private wells grant.

The grant, subject to certain conditions, assists households dependent on these supplies with the costs incurred in providing such a supply of water for domestic purposes or rectifying serious deficiencies with an existing supply.

Earlier this year I announced details of the new Multi-annual Rural Water Programme 2019-2021.  This included an improved funding scheme for individual wells.

Work is at an advanced stage of development for the new scheme.  I expect that the process will be completed shortly when the necessary regulations dealing with the financial assistance arrangements and related administrative matters are put in place.  This will enable a circular letter, terms and conditions, guidance and the application form to issue to local authorities shortly thereafter.

Information on the existing grant scheme is available from local authorities and from my Department’s website at the link.  This will be updated once the new scheme comes into operation.