The National Broadband Plan is the Government’s plan to rollout high speed broadband to the 1.1 million people living and working in the nearly 540,000 premises including almost 100,000 businesses and farms, along with 695 schools, where commercial operators will not commit to deliver the service.
Following the contract signing on 19 November, work has already begun and a deployment plan will be made available by NBI shortly. All counties will see premises passed in the first 2 years and over 90% of premises in the State will have access to high speed broadband within the next four years.
By the end of 2021, NBI plans to pass approximately 115,000 premises, with 70,000 - 100,000 passed each year thereafter until rollout is completed. NBI has indicated that the network rollout will take an estimated 7 years from the beginning of deployment.
The planned rollout will provide access to high speed broadband to 16,200 premises and 15,125 premises located in the Intervention Area in Cavan and Monaghan, respectively, through a combined investment of approximately €125m over 25 years.
Approximately 300 Broadband Connections Points (BCPs), including schools, library hubs and local sports halls in every county in Ireland, including counties Cavan and Monaghan, will be connected to high speed broadband during 2020, to enable communities to quickly get free public access to high speed broadband. 11 BCPs are planned for deployment in Cavan and 12 for Monaghan. The BCP locations are available to view on the High Speed Broadband Map on the Department’s website www.dccae.gov.ie.
The BCPs have been specifically selected by the local authorities so that they can provide public Wi-Fi and other facilities to support mini digital/enterprise hubs to the local community in advance of the main NBP deployment. Broadband Officers in each Local Authority were tasked with consulting with local communities and business to find the appropriate mix of locations to reap the maximum benefits.
All BCPs will have a free public Wi-Fi connection, some will also have hot-desks, and some will be digital hub business centres where digital training, business information events and other SME supports are organised. The 23 BCPs planned for deployment in Cavan-Monaghan are:
- Bunnoe Community Centre, Bunnoe, Lisboduff, Cootehill, Co. Cavan, H16P031
- Castlerahan Hall, Cormeen, Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan, A82NP99
- Cornafean Community Centre, Corr, Cornafean, Co. Cavan, H12X8X0
- Drumavaddy Community Centre, Drumavaddy, Carrickaboy, Co. Cavan, H12YF88
- Killenkere GAA Club, Killenkere Leisure Centre, Beagh, Virginia, Co. Cavan, A82H9F6
- Knocknalosset Orange Order Hall, Knocknalosset, Canningstown, Co. Cavan, H16XY10
- Maudabawn Cultural Centre, Maudabawn, Cootehill, Co. Cavan, H16FH33
- Mullahoran Community Centre, Grousehall, Loughduff, Co. Cavan, H12AF43
- Saint Patrick’s Community Centre, Mully Upper, Glangevlin, Co. Cavan, N41Y661
- Scouting Ireland, Castle Saunderson International Scouting Centre, Castlesaunderson, Belturbet, Co. Cavan, H14X650
- Templeport Community Centre, Cloneary, Bawnboy, Co. Cavan, H14YX29
- Ballybay Development Association, Clones Road, Derryvalley, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan, A75HF78
- Carn Resource Centre, Carn, Smithborough, Co. Monaghan, H18YW40
- Tanagh Outdoor Education & Training Centre, Dartrey, Cootehill, Co. Monaghan, H16HC83
- Corcaghan Community Centre, Corcaghan, Stranooden, Co. Monaghan, H18PK31
- Corduff Gaels G.F.C., Corduff, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan, A81KA61
- Drum School, Cortober, Drum, Co. Monaghan, H16AK79
- Drumgossatt National School, Drumgossatt, Carrickmacross, Co. Monaghan, A81X827
- Drumhawan Community Centre, Drumhawan, Tullynahinnera, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan, A75YV81
- Latton Resource Centre, Latton, Co. Monaghan, A75E771
- Mullyash Community Centre, Camaghty, Mullyash, Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan, A75W923
- Saint Alphonsus Community Hall, Clontask, Drummully, Clones, Co. Monaghan, H23XV08
- Tullycorbet Parish Hall, Patrician Hall, Corvoy, Ballybay, Co. Monaghan, A75YW53