Thursday, 24 September 2020

Questions (199)

Mattie McGrath


199. Deputy Mattie McGrath asked the Minister for Further and Higher Education, Research, Innovation and Science the industries, that is, education, health, information technologies, financial services, legal services and so on which provide payment to students for their work as part of their college degree; the person or body responsible for issuing payment to students; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [26125/20]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Further and Higher Education)

Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) are governed by the Universities Act 1997, the Institutes of Technologies Acts 1992 to 2006 and the Technological Universities Act 2018. Within the meaning of these Acts, HEIs are autonomous with regard to the management of their academic affairs and as such retain the right to determine their own procedures, criteria and processes.

Arrangements relating to the provision of work placements and the issuing of payments are a matter for the relevant HEI and the relevant employers. As such, my Department does not have a role in the such matters.