As the Deputy will be aware, applications for a Small Public Service Vehicle (SPSV) licence are processed by both the National Transport Authority (NTA) and An Garda Síochána.
The NTA is responsible for:
- Administering the SPSV Driver Entry Test;
- Processing SPSV driver licence fees;
- Issuing the SPSV driver identity and display cards on receipt of the SPSV Driver Licence from An Garda Síochána; and
- Maintaining the SPSV driver and vehicle licence register, together with the Driver Check App.
An Garda Síochána is responsible for:
- Vetting applicants to assess their suitability;
- Administering applications received; and
- Where appropriate, granting and renewing SPSV driver licences.
With regard to the role of An Garda Síochána in SPSV licence applications, the vetting of applicants, and the administering and granting/renewing of licences are operational matters for the Garda authorities. As Minister, I have no role in such matters nor can I intervene in individual cases. If an individual applicant wishes to seek information about the status of their application with regard to vetting or any other aspect that falls under the remit of An Garda Síochána, they should contact the Carriage Office by email: CarriageOffice.DMR@Garda.ie
With regard to those aspects of the SPSV application process that are the responsibility of the NTA, which falls under the remit of my colleague, the Minister for Transport, an applicant should contact the NTA directly with any queries about these aspects of their application.