Wednesday, 20 January 2021

Questions (194)

Mark Ward


194. Deputy Mark Ward asked the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage the status of the provision of a social housing passport to enable persons to move between local authorities without losing their time on the housing list; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [2216/21]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

The Programme for Government provides for a package of social housing reforms, including the introduction of a social housing passport to allow households move from one local authority list to another.

It should be noted that the four Dublin local authorities already co-operate in arrangements that enable social housing applicants to apply for housing in one or two of the other Dublin authorities simultaneously. Similar arrangements apply in the two Cork and two Galway local authorities. It is also already possible for households to move and relocate between housing authority areas under the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Scheme where the household income is within the appropriate income limits.

The issue of providing for wider tenancy movements is being examined and I will look at proposals in relation to such wider movement along with the other reform package measures.