The Deputy may wish to be aware of the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform’s Project Tracker which is available at the following link and details all of the major projects and programmes (including details around timings and costings) in the National Development Plan:
A number of the key rail projects/programmes currently being delivered include –
- The National Train Control Centre: a project which will significantly improve train management and operations across the country;
- Infrastructure renewal: a €1billion investment programme in the protection and renewal of the national rail network over the period 2020 to 2024;
- Expanded commuter rail fleet: an additional 41 InterCity Railcars under construction for deployment on the commuter rail network in the wider Leinster region;
- Dublin-Cork track relaying programme;
- Dublin City Centre Resignalling Project; and
- Enhancement of capacity on the Luas Green Line: a project to increase capacity through the addition of 8 new trams to the fleet as well as the extension of all 26 existing trams to 55m in length.
In line with the current National Development Plan and the Public Spending Code, Preliminary Business Cases are being developed for DART+ and MetroLink, while planning and design of a proposed Cork Light rail network is also being funded, with similar planning and design underway in relation to a proposed Luas Finglas in Dublin. There are also proposals to fund station improvement works at both Ceannt and Colbert Stations and I understand those works are also subject of applications to the Urban Regeneration and Development Fund as well as funding that may be made available through the National Transport Authority.
I can assure the Deputy that a key component of my approach to the revised National Development Plan will be to submit an ambitious Regional Cities Investment Programme for each of Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford, including investment in their rail networks, and I look forward to working with him and other colleagues in the years ahead on this important programme.