Wednesday, 10 February 2021

Questions (892)

Thomas Gould


892. Deputy Thomas Gould asked the Minister for Health when permissible products under the medicinal cannabis access programme, MCAP, will be extended to include a variety of cannabis flower. [7127/21]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

A prospective supplier of cannabis-based products can apply to the Health Products Regulatory Authority (HPRA), on behalf of the Minister, to have a product considered for inclusion in the Medicinal Cannabis Access Programme.

Cannabis products that can be used in the Medical Cannabis Access Programme are defined as ‘specified controlled drugs’ in legislation (SI 262/2019) and the definition outlines the specific requirements for those products.

The criteria that cannabis products must meet in order to be considered by the Minister for inclusion on the schedule are set out in the legislation and can be found in the operator guidance issued by the HPRA.