Thursday, 18 February 2021

Questions (69)

Noel Grealish


69. Deputy Noel Grealish asked the Minister for Transport if he will address the case of a person (details supplied) regarding a driver licence; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9164/21]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Transport)

As per the EU Directives on driving licensing, a person cannot hold more than one driving licence. A person normally resident in Ireland must have an Irish or EU licence to drive here. Normal residence means the place where a person usually lives, that is for at least 185 days in each calendar year, because of personal and occupational ties.

It is not possible to issue a dual licence. Ireland can only issue a driving licence for an Irish resident, and not for another jurisdiction. EU driving licences are mutually recognised; a person can continue to drive on an EU licence when they come to reside in Ireland but must apply for an Irish licence when the original licence expires. As the UK is no longer a Member State, a UK licence is no longer recognised for driving in Ireland.

With regard to motor insurance, my Department does not have the power to direct insurance companies on insurance products, as insurance companies are private companies. The provision of insurance cover and the price at which it is offered is a commercial matter for insurance companies.