Skip to main content
Normal View

Hospital Transfers

Dáil Éireann Debate, Wednesday - 21 April 2021

Wednesday, 21 April 2021

Questions (2167)

Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire


2167. Deputy Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire asked the Minister for Health the discharge options available to persons who have dementia in a hospital setting if they need to avail of long-term care for the first time. [20006/21]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Health)

The Nursing Homes Support Scheme, commonly referred to as Fair Deal is a system of financial support for people who require long-term residential care. Participants contribute to the cost of their care according to their means while the State pays the balance of the cost.

Applicants to the scheme will be assessed to determine their requirement for long-term care. This is carried out by a medical professional.

Once approved to the Scheme, participants contribute up to 80% of their assessable income, such as their pension and a maximum of 7.5% per annum of the value of assets held, such as their principal private residence or cash assets. The capital value of an individual’s principal private residence is only included in the financial assessment for the first three years of their time in care.

Furthermore, applicants to scheme have the option of applying for the Nursing Home Loan (Ancillary State Support). This is an additional financial support offered through the scheme, the purpose of which is to ensure that a person does not have to sell their home during their lifetime to pay for long-term nursing home care.

The choice of nursing home is with the applicant themselves, as long as there are places available; this includes public, private and voluntary nursing homes. The share of the cost of care paid by the applicant does not change depending on the home, being instead determined by their means, as set out above. Some homes may have specialist facilities for those with dementia.

I would recommend that the family contact their local HSE office to discuss all the options open to them. Contact details are available on the HSE website.