Skip to main content
Normal View

Departmental Schemes

Dáil Éireann Debate, Thursday - 4 November 2021

Thursday, 4 November 2021

Questions (272)

Eoin Ó Broin


272. Deputy Eoin Ó Broin asked the Minister for Housing, Local Government and Heritage if the improvement works in lieu of local authority housing schemes can be accessed for works on a private property in which the applicant is a council tenant and surrenders their tenancy to move into the funded works in a private property owned by an extended family member. [53874/21]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Housing)

My Department provides capital funding to Local Authorities for Improvement Works in Lieu of local authority housing (IWILs) to enable them to repair, improve or extend privately owned houses that are occupied or will be occupied by approved housing applicants as an alternative to the provision of local authority housing. The scheme may also be used to improve private houses intended for occupation by a person surrendering a local authority house.

There are specific terms and conditions which govern the administration of the scheme and local authorities are responsible for such administration, including the assessment, approval and prioritisation of applications.