Thursday, 25 November 2021

Questions (270)

Robert Troy


270. Deputy Robert Troy asked the Minister for Social Protection if she will ensure the General Register Office issues marriage paperwork to a couple (details supplied) without further delay. [58044/21]

View answer

Written answers (Question to Social)

I can inform the Deputy that an application for recognition of a foreign divorce was submitted to the General Register Office (GRO) in respect of one of the parties to the proposed marriage.

Where a person is granted a divorce abroad this must be examined to determine if it is entitled to recognition under Irish law. If the divorce is entitled to recognition then the person is deemed to be free to marry in the State.

I have been advised that the GRO has made a determination on the application in this case and that the couple have been informed of the outcome.

I trust this clarifies matters for the Deputy.