Rannóg an Aistriúcháin (the Translation Section) provides translation services for the Houses of the Oireachtas.
Rannóg an Aistriúcháin provides official translations of the Acts of the Oireachtas and also of the Standing Orders of Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann. We provide translation services to the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission and the Houses of the Oireachtas Service. We also provide a correspondence translation service to TDs and Senators.
Language scheme and strategy
The Houses of the Oireachtas Service language scheme details the services to be provided through the Irish language, through English and bilingually. The Irish Language Strategy helps TDs, Senators and staff engage with the Irish language in a positive and rewarding manner.
Most recently published official translations of Acts
- Recently published official translations of Acts
An Caighdeán Oifigiúil
What does Rannóg an Aistriúcháin do?
- Official documents translation
We provide official translations of the Acts of the Oireachtas. These are available on the Houses of the Oireachtas website and on achtanna.ie.
We do not translate Bills, however we provide official translations of the Short Titles and Long Titles of Bills.
We also translate the Order Papers of both Houses, some statutory instruments and the Standing Orders of Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann.
- Other translation
Our translation service also extends to Members’ correspondence and documents produced by the Houses of the Oireachtas Commission such as strategic plans and annual reports. We support the other offices of the Houses of the Oireachtas Service in providing a bilingual service.
- Simultaneous interpretation
We provide a simultaneous interpretation service for sittings of Dáil Éireann, Seanad Éireann and some committees.
Members of either House of the Oireachtas may speak in Irish or English during proceedings in the Dáil, Seanad and committees. When TDs and Senators speak in Irish in the Houses, their contributions are simultaneously translated for the benefit of Members who do not speak Irish. Members of the public or officials who appear before Oireachtas committees also have the right to use either Irish or English. The Official Report of the proceedings of the Dáil, Seanad and committees is published in the language the speaker chose to use.
- An Caighdeán Oifigiúil - The Official Standard
Rannóg an Aistriúcháin is responsible for the official standard grammar of the Irish language – An Caighdeán Oifigiúil – and maintains glossaries of official terminology used in the Acts. Under the guidance of the Chief Translator, it provides the official versions of the Irish language names of State bodies and schemes featuring in legislation and is the national authority of the State as regards the Irish language version of EU treaties.
We organise events to promote the use of the Irish language in Leinster House.
- The Houses of the Oireachtas marked Seachtain na Gaeilge 2019 with a lecture in Leinster House on 5 March by Professor Gearóid Ó Tuathaigh. The lecture looked at the establishment of Dáil Éireann in 1919 and the foundation of the democratic State in Ireland.
- Our Seachtain na Gaeilge events continued on 12 March when Cuan Ó Seireadáin looked at the importance of 6 Harcourt Street in the first meetings of Dáil Éireann in 1919. Cuan Ó Seireadáin is curator with Conradh na Gaeilge and chairman of Raidió na Life.
- On 6 March 2018, the Houses of the Oireachtas marked Seachtain na Gaeilge with a special lecture by Máire Geoghegan-Quinn. The former Minister and European Commissioner spoke about the importance of our national language to her and in her work and about her life and career in Irish and European politics.
Contact Rannóg an Aistriúcháin
While we welcome comments and suggestions, we are not in a position to respond to individual emails.
Rannóg an Aistriúcháin
(01) 618 3922
Gairm ar aighneachtaí maidir lenár scéim nua teanga
Tá scéim nua teanga á dréachtú againn do Sheirbhís Thithe an Oireachtais. Sonraítear sa scéim teanga na seirbhísí a sholáthraítear i nGaeilge, i mBéarla agus sa dá theanga. Más mian leat go gcuirfí do thuairimí san áireamh i ndréachtú na scéime, ní mór duit aighneacht a sheoladh i scríbhinn chuig firstname.lastname@example.org roimh 5.00 p.m, Dé hAoine, an 23 Iúil 2021.